Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, seeks an accomplished individual to serve as its Vice President of University Financial Planning and Budgeting (VPFPB). Reporting to the Executive Vice President for Finance and Administration, the VPFPB is a key member of the financial leadership team and will be responsible for providing university-wide leadership and broad strategic oversight of financial planning and budgeting. This position is an opportunity for the right person to drive significant transformation of the University’s planning and budgeting approaches, shape how the university makes financial decisions, and impact the long-term sustainability of this storied and honored 250-year-old institution.
The VPFPB will be an experienced leader who communicates effectively, thinks creatively, and works collaboratively. The successful candidate will implement a comprehensive financial planning and analysis function and assist in developing decision making capabilities that lead to the highest levels of financial performance at Rutgers. Additionally, the VPFPB will further advance the integration of Rutgers Responsibility Center Management (RCM) budget process. Central to this position is to work in close collaboration with the Chief Business Officers (CBO) of the campuses, Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences (RBHS), and Athletics to ensure their success in realizing their strategic and operational goals. The VPFPB will need to be both technologically savvy and emotionally intelligent as he/she will need to manage both cultural and operational change as new systems and tools are introduced and integrated.
The VPFPB is integral to the University Finance and Administrative division achieving its Core Purpose: “to enable Rutgers to thrive and advance its missions by providing transformative leadership, services, and guidance that result in informed decision making and effective stewardship of the university’s financial resources.” This position requires a progressive, forward-thinking leader who can build strong working relationships across the university and academic healthcare environment as well as at the state government level. The VPFPB will need to be both technologically savvy and emotionally intelligent, as he/she will need to manage both cultural and operational change as new systems and tools are introduced and integrated.
Primary roles and responsibilities include:
- Developing, managing, and implementing transformative and comprehensive financial planning approaches which include spearheading long-range financial planning; leading financial business plan development and multi-year projections; and assisting the CBOs in the development of long range financial and business plans for their units;
- Advancing financial business planning competency across the university, including designing training programs for University leaders to understand financial business planning in order to develop appropriate strategic, operating and capital budgets;
- Providing complex financial and business analysis in support of executive decision making and the development of strategy and growth planning and major initiatives;
- Supporting RBHS and Rutgers Health endeavors including providing financial planning support for strategic partnerships, academic and research efforts, and new program development;
- Preparing interim forecasts, performance metrics, and ad hoc financial analyses;
- Overseeing all aspects of the budget and planning process and ensuring that the RCM budget processes and financial decisions align with strategic and mission goals and objectives;
- Providing analysis and in-depth management of complex budget issues and the financial implications of short and long-term budget decisions;
- Implementing and enhancing information technology systems to support strategic and financial planning, budgeting, and executive decision support.
Minimum Education and Experience
The ideal VPFPB will be an experienced university or healthcare financial executive with strategic and executive capabilities and will have significant experience in and/or with research universities and academic medical centers.
- The successful candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration, or a related discipline from an accredited college or university.
- A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible experience in strategic budget and resource management planning; significant experience developing budget processes in a large, complex environment, and related policy development and implementation, preferably within an RCM environment; a track record of working collaboratively and collegially in a matrixed environment to meet a variety of priorities and time sensitive deadlines; experience advocating for and leading change related to business and budget operations; success in building and developing a team and creating shared vision; managerial courage, and a customer-service orientation.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Significant experience developing budget processes in a large, complex environment, and related policy development and implementation.
- Experience working collaboratively and collegially in a matrixed environment to meet a variety of priorities and time sensitive deadlines.
- Demonstrated experience introducing new strategic uses of information and technology and their applications and implications to university decision information and support systems; experience with Hyperion applications preferred;
- Experience advocating for and leading change related to business and budget operations to ensure that operations are efficient, effective, contemporary, compliant, and reflect the character and priorities of the institution.
- Demonstrated experience working with senior leaders, board members, and state officials; facility for anticipating and presenting information and analysis needed to support executive decisions.
- Success in building and developing a team and the ability to work well with a wide variety of individuals, including faculty, administrators, and other professionals.
- A master’s or advanced degree in business or related field is preferred.
- Preference will be given to candidates with relevant and significant experience in higher education at a complex, research-intensive university.
- Preference for experience within a RCM environment.
How to Apply
See the full position description at http://www.brillneumann.com
Please send applications (resume and letter of interest) and nominations to: RutgersVPFPB@brillneumann.com