During these difficult financial times, many families are understandably concerned about the cost of higher education. For these families, it is important to recognize the excellent value that Rutgers offers. As New Jersey’s leading public research university, Rutgers is committed to providing an outstanding education at an affordable price.
- Rutgers tuition and fees for in-state students are significantly less than those at most private universities. For example, the typical Rutgers in-state student will pay $13,073 for the 2012–2013 academic year in tuition and mandatory fees. Due to the support that the state of New Jersey provides, this amount is half to a third of what the student would pay at many private institutions and significantly less than he or she would pay as an out-of-state student at a public university in another state.
- Rutgers is one of the top universities in the nation and is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU). Rutgers professors are nationally recognized leaders in their fields, and many senior faculty teach seminars for first-year students.
- Rutgers offers an exceptional educational experience with more than 100 fields of study and extensive opportunities for undergraduates to participate in original research projects.
- Rutgers enrolls some of the highest-achieving students in the state. The top 1,000 students enrolling at Rutgers are in the top 6 percent of their high school classes and each had SAT scores exceeding 2100.
- Our graduates are very successful. Our alumni include 2008 Pulitzer Prize winner Junot Díaz, chef Mario Batali, author Janet Evanovich, actors James Gandolfini and Kristin Davis, NBA Commissioner David Stern, Saatchi & Saatchi CEO Mary Baglivo, and Rhodes Scholar and “The Apprentice” Randal Pinkett.
- Last year, 73 percent of Rutgers’ entering class received an offer of financial aid through a wide range of need- and merit-based programs.
- Rutgers is a direct lending institution, which means that eligible students can obtain federal Stafford Loans and Parent PLUS Loans directly from the U.S. Treasury. These loans are the safest educational loans available and are not subject to the volatility of the open market.